“It is strange when we expect all students to do well academically and ignore the fact that individuals’ abilities vary.
If a child/kid/teenager cannot do well in academics and shows signs of distraction, it is an indication that his mind isn’t in the strict form and obligations of the school curriculum.
His cleverness and creativeness could show in other aspects of life. It could be in arts, sports, photography, computer world, gardening, carpentry, or any other field in life.
Judging students’ based on their grades and accusing them of failure is an excuse for the limited space the educational system provides to students to succeed in life.”
― Noora Ahmed Alsuwaidi

I chose this quote because I deeply felt it, and still do sometimes. The institution of school can only be formulated for the many, but not for all. There are people in this world that have something to share that won’t be assessed. Some have ways of learning and doing that we might not observe or understand. Formal education has given me much, and with great difficulty I have learned to work with the system rather than against it. Like an ornery animal on a lead road, I was pulled along until I realized that there are gems hidden in the muck of schooling. Now, with more wisdom, I cherish those gems and hunt for them every day. However, if I were slightly stranger, I might not have come to these conclusions but would definitely contribute to the world in some meaningful way.

It is easy to look through our conditioned eyes to think that the woman “stuck” working a minimum wage job, or not living in a nice neighbourhood is to be pitied. It is likely that she either enjoys her life regardless, or does not for reasons much deeper than her economic status. Some people will be content with a life that formal education does not lead to, and as I teacher I plan to accept this.

I will do my diligence and teach to the curriculum, and assess as directed. There is great merit in these practices and for most students, the regular process will be sufficient. For those students I see that struggle within the system, I plan to investigate. There is another realm to teaching that is more personal; we are not just knowledge givers, we are life guides as well. My philosophy will be to show interest, and find what a person’s true goals are. This way, if they don’t do well formally, at least I can help direct them to their individual success.